Monday, February 3, 2014

More progress!!!

Pippa is very slowly coming more and more out of her shell.  Today, while I was working, she came in to the office and checked things out again.  Then, she and Charm kinda started to play, just a teeny bit!  It was mostly some head bumps and circling around each other, but Pippa was actually interested in interacting with another dog, which is amazing for her!!!  This is the dog that tried to become one with her crate or a wall when she first came to me.  Now, she comes out of her crate (sometimes, mostly when I'm not looking), will look at me, and is starting to interact with the other dogs!!  She even brought a bone with her in to my office this afternoon, and lay down on a bed to chew on it for a bit.

Pippa started her heartworm treatment last week, and once that's done, she'll be a healthy dog (physically), and I'll just need to work on the mental side of things with her.  I've taken many dogs through heartworm treatment, and I know all the protocols.  I have to admit, though, to being a bit lax with Pippa, just because I don't want to discourage any progress she makes.  Pippa is incredibly sedentary most of the time, so I don't have to worry about crate rest (she does that herself) or taking her out on a leash to potty (the leash would freak her out and she's usually very calm about just going out, pottying, and coming back in).  Where I've been lax, though, is when she decides to get the zoomies.  It doesn't happen often...maybe once every few days, and it's a brief burst of zooming around the yard.  I'm so happy that she feels safe enough to run in joy that I don't want to stop her.  I figure, 5 minutes of racing around the yard two or three times a week is not going to negatively impact her recovery from heartworms, but asking her to stop may impact her socialization.

I'm just so very excited to see Pippa actually starting to act like a real dog - interacting with my dogs, getting the zoomies, carrying a bone or toy around.  This is pretty big stuff for the sweet girl.

2 comments:

  1. Great news! Thanks for the update, she's making such progress.

    Byron, Stephanie & Scout

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Pippa is doing so well. We have nursed several Brittany fosters through heartworm treatment as well. I have to say I am a bit concerned about her getting her heart rate up while the worms are decomposing in her system. I know you have to make difficult decisions and I wish you and Pippa all the best as you go through this.

    ReplyDelete