Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pippa's Back!

Yup, Pippa is back home with me now.  Actually, she came back to me on Monday night, but I've been too exhausted to post.  My friend that is watching Kipling asked if she could foster him for a while longer...she's enjoying the challenge of getting him to trust her.  I had no problem with that, so Kipling will get to hang out with my friend and her dogs for a while longer.  In the mean time, I now have Willow (another of the Magnolia dogs) here with me.  Willow was in temp foster care, and now we're trying to find a spot for her in the Denver area so that she can get free heartworm treatment.

So, Pippa....she's readjusting to my home.  It's taken her the last two evenings to remember that "outside, go potty" means that she needs to go out the back door, not run to her crate and sit in the back.  She is remembering, though, and that seems to be the only step back that she's taken.  She still loves her corner of the hallway, and I'm fine with that.  I do wish she were more willing to come out and be social, but I know it will come in time.

Last night, I sat outside with the dogs for a while, and Pippa actually was pretty active and peppy.  She gave a little bark of excitement, which is the first sound I've heard from her.  She RAN around the yard, and almost seemed like she wanted to play.  She was being silly and happy, and it made me smile.  She knows her name, and every time I say it, she looks at me.  In the yard, she even play bowed at me when I called her name and asked her if she was being silly.  I also managed to get her to take treats from my hand...I had some left over treats in my pocket from Charm's training class, so I offered them to Pippa.  She was more than happy to take bits of hamburger and cheese from me.

Today, Pippa has been pretty quiet, and I'm letting her adjust to having Willow in the house.  They haven't interacted much yet.

Willow is another of the Magnolia Britts.  She's been in a foster home that make phenomenal progress with her.  When she went to her foster home, she played keep away constantly and didn't want people to get close.  Now, she's willing to sit on the couch with me, and I can pet her easily.  If she gets spooked, she still bolts, and you have to approach slowly and step on the light line that she drags around with her, or you'll never catch her until she calms down.  This evening, she let me pet her, she wagged her tail, and she was even interested when Charm came in to the room playing with her squeaky toy.  As I type this, she's curled up in a dog bed in the corner,

No comments:

Post a Comment