Saturday, August 17, 2013

Day 12: Another Foster Joins Us

Day 12:  Today, I went and picked up another of the Magnolia Brittanys to foster.  There were some concerns about his behavior, so he didn't get to take a ride to California with the rest of the dogs.  The boy is named Kipling, and he's also rather fearful, but no where near the level that Pippa is at.

This morning, before I left, I had to change out Pippa's crate.  I needed to loan out the plastic one she was in, so Pippa got a small wire crate instead.  She seemed okay with the new crate, I just had to show her that when I say "kennel" I now mean this wire one.  I put it in the exact same spot as the plastic one was in, but she still needed a little help at first.  She willingly walked, on her own, outside and to her kennel when prompted!

When I got home with Kipling, Pippa was a bit confused about having him join us.  Not really frightened, just a little worried about the initial chaos that always seems to happen when a new dog comes in.  Kipling really liked the corner Pippa has set herself up in, so he camped out with her for a while as he settled in.  Fortunately, Kipling is a little more brave and really wants to play with my dogs, so he came out of Pippa's corner fairly quickly, so she didn't have to share for long.  I set up a large plastic crate for Kipling, right next to Pippa's little wire crate.  Well, that pretty much made Pippa's little mind explode.  I told her to go kennel and there were suddenly two to choose from and neither one was in exactly the right spot.  That was the only time today that I've had to pick her up and put her somewhere.  Once I placed get in the correct crate, she understood, and later this evening, she got it right when I told her to go kennel

Pippa and I spent our customary hour outside this evening, so that she could get some exercise by wandering around the yard.  Once I'd decided that I'd been bit by enough mosquitoes, we came back inside.  Then, we spent some time in the hallway, working on accepting being touched by people and taking treats from my hand.  I got her to take one treat from my hand, after dropping a bunch on the floor and then stepping out of sight so she would eat them.  She decided she liked the treat and took the last one out of my hand!  Then, I sat next to her and massaged her and let her just experience someone sitting next to her and touching her.  I started to fall asleep sitting there in the hall, so it was time to put Pippa back in her kennel and for me to go to bed (after writing this, of course).  Pippa actually walked to her kennel, instead of scurrying towards it and throwing herself in.  I think she was actually kind of relaxed!

2 comments:

  1. Bless you for taking on another foster. How lucky these two are to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she was actually kind of relaxed!

    LOL! You need to teach the brats to give you a massage!

    Brenda and the Brit-Brats (Kelcy, Susie, Max and Bodie)

    ReplyDelete