Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 7: She's a smart doggie!

Day 7:  Apparently, Pippa is determined to outsmart me.  Usually, when she comes inside after going potty, she races to her corner.  Last night, for the last potty break, I wanted her to just go in her crate, so I wouldn't have to pick her up and carry her there.  I set the crate with the door open just inside the back door.  Previously, Pippa has run inside and gone in to the crate when I had it set just inside the door.  Last night, she decided she didn't like that option.  She jumped on top of the crate and scrambled over then trotted around the kitchen, looking proud of herself.  Little stinker!  Once I got the crate in it's regular spot in the living room, she rushed in and stared back at me.  I really adore Brittanys, but I hate having to constantly figure out how to be smarter than the dog!

This morning, I decided to see how much Pippa has learned, so I just turned her crate a little bit and so that it was pointed towards the back door.  I had the back door open, and when I opened the crate and told her to go outside and go potty, she did!  I'm very proud of her.  Of course, then she came back in and went straight to her corner in the hallway.  When it was time for me to go in to the office, I had to pick her up and carry her back to her crate.

This afternoon, I had a moment of stupidity, and then had the challenge of figuring out how to get Pippa out of her hiding spot.  I came inside, I was on the phone, and I forgot to close the laundry room door  I opened the back door, let all the dogs out of their crates, including Pippa, and then continued my phone conversation.  I didn't notice that Pippa didn't go outside until I suddenly realized that the laundry room door was open.  I checked the side of the dryer...no Pippa.  I checked outside, no Pippa.  Hallway...no Pippa, crate, my bedroom, kitchen, office...no Pippa.  Then, I climbed on top of the dryer and peered down behind the washer and dryer.  There was Pippa, hiding between the two.  My laundry room is not that big!  There was no way I could pull the appliances out and get to her without a lot of work.  Finally, I managed to push the washer and dryer to the sides, making a gap in the middle, where I could see Pippa's head.  Then, I grabbed the vacuum, turned it on, and poked at her butt with the hose attachment.  Between the suction, noise, and poking, it got her moving, and she crawled out and scurried in to her crate.  I quickly shut the laundry room door and put everything back in place.  Silly girl!!!!

This evening, Pippa trotted around the yard, went to investigate what Charm and Buster were barking at, and even got curious when Charm and Buster both had their front feet up on the retaining wall.  She even managed to sniff my leg again when Charm was sitting in my lap.  Pippa is definitely more confident outside, but she also doesn't really want to be outside.  It's an interesting paradox.

No comments:

Post a Comment